Tuesday 19 May 2009

So fast it HERTZ


So while I should but getting on with other stuff I just remembered our discussion about framerates last night and thought I'd google it for interest. Out of it I got a cool BBC white paper, the Wikipedia entry and a wierd gizmo that translates DVDs to play at movie framerates, as long as you've got a compatible tv.

Conclusions:
  • Since the advent of the talkies in late 1920s the industry standard for movies has been 24Hz
  • CRT TVs (tend to) run at the frequency of the native power supply (50Hz in American/NTSC territories, 60Hz in UK/PAL territories)
  • LCD TVs usually run at 60Hz, although some companies are pushing 100Hz sets, which are completely pointless until they are given similarly high frequency sources to display
  • Blu-ray operates at 24Hz when using progressive scan (or upto 60 when interlaced)
  • (I think) Snow White and other early Disney animations used a method of animation known as animating on 2s, meaning each drawn image was used for 2 frames of film, effectively reducing the framerate to 12Hz
  • I've spent far too much time on something no one reading this will care about
I also found something about Snow White on blu-ray, surely a pointless exercise when the original material isn't in HD?

1 comment:

  1. I've just read this, but actually it was quite interesting, thanks tim! (non ironic promise)

    ReplyDelete