Tuesday 23 June 2009

FILM WATCH 2009




Well, working in a cinema has pretty much squahed my enjoyment of films coming out in the here and the now. But I'm currently forcing myself to get more interested in brand new and upcoming films. So here are 5 films coming out soon that I'm as bothered about as I should be, but will undoubtedly enjoy if I force myself to watch them.

1: ENTER THE VOID (Gaspar Noe)

The director of Seul Contre Tous and Irreversible returns with this ridiculously colourful and doubtlessly over the top Faustian parable in which a drug dealer is killed in a shoot out, and his ghost floats around Tokyo watching his sister have sex and that. Expect lots of languid camera shots and eye melting colour: it's already been described as "the longest screen saver I have ever seen" by Jonathan Romney. I'll probably love it regardless, but let's just wait and see.

2: INGLORIOUS BASTARDS (Quentin Tarantino)

I don't really know what to write on this, as the rabid coverage on the internet has almost spared me the necessity of actually watching it for myself. Critical reaction has actually been pretty lukewarm so far, but it's hard to imagine this being anything other than exemplary.

3: BRUNO (no idea)

Borat was very funny. Bruno is a much funnier character than Borat. So this will be funnier. And therefore better.

4: WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE (Spike Jonze)

As anyone who has seen the trailer can testify, this film will surely capture the woozy dreamlike feeling in a way few thought would be possible. The mixture of subtle CG and good old fashioned blokes in monster costumes gives the film a lovely nostalgic feeling too, which is apt for a feature that will live and/or die depending on how well it evokes childhood memories.

5: BLOOD: THE LAST VAMPIRE (god knows)

Based on a flashy cartoon with lots of blood and bare calves in it. Dunno if it'll be good, but it'll be good, if you know what I mean.

1 comment: